Sunday, April 8, 2018

04/08/18 Pupdate

I almost typed 4/8/07 because I use that more ( I used to inadvertently date workpapers on my birthday with my birth year.  Force of habit 1/7/ is followed by those digits most often).  The pupsters helped us celebrate the 11th birthday of Grammie Sammie and her 6 littermates  from the Master’s litter today.  Only Uncle Indy of those puppies came to see them today though.  Aunt B came too. They were mildly interested in the puppies but more interested in seeing me and Uncle Daddy. 
Aunt Cindi came along with Indy and B since neither of them are old enough to drive yet. She brought Caly some more chicken, too.  While she was here, the MSU and I brought up the other puppy paraphernalia so I can clean it and have it ready to use when the pupsters are ready to go outside and learn about crates.  She cut their toenails while she was here too.  One of the little collar pieces fell off of the velcro last time she was here so she almost missed doing Blueberry Muffin but we remedied that.
The puppies entertained Aunt Cindi while we were getting that and while I took a nap.  I didn’t plan on napping but I couldn’t hold my eyes open.  
Nanny McPhoebe is on high alert today.  This morning (in broad daylight, not even at the edge of dawn) one of the cameras alerted and a moment later Nanny McPhoebe was quite adamant that there was SOMETHING that DID NOT belong in the side yard/hillside.  She was growling and barking with the hair standing up and she was STIFF.  I tried the cue to signal the end of the alert but she wasn’t backing down.  SDB and Caly backed her up so I figured out it was something and let them decide when it was good enough.  When the MSU got up, I had him look at the video and it was a coyote.  That’s the first we’ve known of them coming that close to the house.  We’ll have to guard the puppies against them in addition to the birds of prey.  It’s not like I leave them out unattended anyway but good to know the old bitches are still on the job.  Tonight at the edge of dark a single goose flew into the pond.  So long after dark, the geese that think they live here and that goose have been having discussions about it.  Nanny McPhoebe, still considering herself on sentry duty, has been monitoring their discussions carefully and occasonally contributing thoughts of her own.  I think she may sleep in the crate tonight so she can rest.
The puppies are more and more like little dogs.  They are interacting more with each other with mouths and paws but the big milestone is: they’ve started kissing back!  Today, when I was giving kisses to whoever came over to my face at the edge of the pen (and it was everybody) they started licking my face.  Later when Grammie Sammie and Nanny McPhoebe were doing the big time face washing, the puppies started licking them back as well.  We don’t have any actual teeth yet but they are close and with this behavior, I suspect there will be bitches puking for them before long.  That’s my cue to start feeding them but I prefer to wait for those cues.  It’ll be interesting to see if they all do it and which one does it first.
We have another full 24 hours (plus some at the moment) added to our poops only in the potty area record.  There are some pees at the edge and a couple of little ones further out but they do all seem to try to head in that direction when they need to go.  Such smart puppies!
At the moment, that’s all of the news I can think to type up.  We didn’t attempt a weight watchers meeting but we did loosen some tight collars which is a sure sign of growth.
We are going to do another round at the bar, feed the big girls again (you have no idea how hard it is not to automatically include Jack in the ‘other dogs’ category - this is the first litter he hasn’t been here) and take a nap until the 2 am feeding of both sets.  Puppy breath to all!  Nighty, nighty, nighty!

No comments:

Post a Comment