Saturday, March 7, 2015

March 7, 2015 Pupdate - Spring Forward!

It seems like a long time since I wrote last night's entry. Maybe because I stayed up all night. By the time I finished the floor, I was hungry and after I ate and cuddled the puppies a little more, there wasn't much point in trying to sleep until the MSU came down to relieve me.
To clean the floor, I had to move the whelping pool to the other side of the room and then move it back after it dried. I tried leaving them in the box (they were sleeping when I put them in and they didn't wake up) but all of the girls kept putting their big ole heads in to try to check on them (I need to ditch the box now but I have to do it without any of them noticing - at least one of the three always catches me.)
Dog Cindi (Bela's other mother) and Bela's Aunt Debbie (Bela goes to her house for playdates with the Border girls while her mama goes to work) came to see the puppies and dogs today. Bela was pretty excited to see them and Indy (Uncle to these puppies) was rather interested in the puppies and then his sister B. After his shower, he was pretty wound up but Doodlebug was having NONE of that foolishness near the babies.
They did toenails (these puppies must be related to me because they were born with long nails and they grow fast) and gave their midday dose of probiotic. The puppies are already catching on that when I rub their cheek, they open their mouth/yawn. At that point we stick the paste in their mouth and they num num num it up. We held a weight watcher's meeting too. We now have over 8 lbs of puppy - no wonder I had to loosen their collars every day. We changed their collars today so I can clean the other ones but I may just discard them. They are the colored velcro and I cut them in half at first because they go around and around their necks PLUS they get dirty a lot the first couple of days, especially. I put them on the grooming table as we changed them out for clean ones and then I noticed the girls all trying to reach them. At that point I realized the problem and put them in the pool with the babies until I could stick them in my pocket right before I left the room. I THINK they are are out of smell range, if not I'm sure I will be told all about it by at least one of the 3.
We also held a photo shoot as you can probably tell from the last post.
I need to video the puppy swarm when Bela gets into the pool when the puppies are sleeping. It just seems so unexpected, it's different if they are awake and fussing for her. I guess she senses when they are about ready to wake up. She still spends most of her time in the pool even when they are sleeping but she does nap right outside it and a little on the couch today. But if they squeak much, she's right there. I'm sure that a lot of this is familiar to anyone who has read the old blog entries but I continue to be fascinated and amazed by what good dam does.
Since we lose and hour tonight (I think I'l make the new owners wait an extra hour to take them so I am not cheated), I think I'll go do puppy yoga and cuddles, serve up another meal and say nighty, nighty, nighty. Maybe I'll sleep some tonight, too.


Cristi Fogus Wetherholt (Blindchick)
Allyn Portuguese Water Dogs - Structure,Temperament, Drive...ALL IN!
Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment