Thursday, March 5, 2015

March 4, 2015 Pupdate

March 4, 2015 Pupdate
These puppies are absolutely adorable! Bela is being a very good mother, too. She still scouts out potential spots in case I put her out of doors but doesn't want to give up the choice location I'm currently providing. If her mothr and sister hadn't doen the same thing, I might worry.
The puppies contine to prefer to nurse on the upper row. Since there are only 5 spots at the bar on one side and 4 on the other - and 6 puppies, they never all get their wish. They do some jockeying for position and then the ones that don't get an upper, wriggle into some pretty amusing positions on the bottom row. Usually they crawl under the siblings, parallel to Bela and nurse that way. Sometimes they hum while they nurse and sometimes they sing. They often protest rather vociferously when she cleans them up, especially if they are trying to eat (and they are almost always eating)
Their umbilical cords have fallen off, so far everything feels pretty good there. I can rub their little tummies easier now.
Since they are 3 days old, we started early neurological stimulation. Bela had just come back inside from pottying when I started and yellow was none too pleased that I interrupted his ramble back to his Mama. And Bela was a little concerned that he was unhappy. Fortunately it doesn't take long and I do it right beside the helping pool so I returned him pretty quickly. SDB and Jill also came over to make sure I was careful enough. I appear to have passed muster on this occasion. Hopefully, I can do it to suit them the rest of the days.
I did them in birth order, and cut a little piece off of each collar to make my version of a magnet board. I also had to make each collar a little larger. I haven't held a weight watcher's meeting today though. And since they all started nursing again, I didn't cut their toenails then either I need to catch them sleeping and do it. Since I have my collar board, I can do them individually now.
It has cooled down outside again - it was 65 degrees yesterday and I had to run the a/c last night because Bela and I were too hot. It's much more comfrortable in here tonight, maybe I won't take so long to get back to sleep after I do puppy checks tonight. It's about feeding time at the zoo again and then we'll have some cuddles and go nighty, nighty, nighty.


Cristi Fogus Wetherholt (Blindchick)
Allyn Portuguese Water Dogs - Structure,Temperament, Drive...ALL IN!
Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment