Saturday, March 28, 2015

March 28, 2015 Pupdate

I should've written blog notes throughout the day but I was busy having fun with the babies! So I'll try to remember what happened (I did try to post a video from my phoen but apparently, I have to put it on youtube or google plus for that to work and I didn't stop to take time. Dog Cindi put some on Facebook though.)
I attempted to sleep in my real bed with the monitor on last night (after the 2 am meal service to the MamaDog) but I didn't do much resting. First, I couldn't hear them through my pillow speaker and I didn't want to wake up the MSU to make him look. I finally ascertained that I didn't hear anything because they were sleeping quietly ;-) So from about 3 until 5 something, I sort of slept but also woke up and checked on them. At a little after 5, I woke up and the app/ipadiphone had lost the connection and I had a few moments of panic. I think the alarm for them disconnecting woke me up. The MSU was awake so he checked on them and I eventually went back to sleep after 6. Then I had to get up to serve first breakfast to B at 7 so not a lot of sleep.
The vet came by to drop off some medication in case their icky poop or puking comes back and to give Aunt Bug her legally required rabies vaccine. I also gave her the protocol for the Georgie program because I won't want to have to do that in the event anything happens to one of the old dogs. I'll be focused on making everything as comfortable as possible for whichever dog it is. I had dog Cindi put a copy on her phone today, to and she's going to send a copy to LeAnne (who is my OCD paperwork backup person.) We both got a little teary talking about it so I know I will be a basket case when the time comes (hopefully not for a long time but Jack will be 13 in May, Jill in November and they probably won't live forever - although I am hoping they both make ti to ancient Mariner status at least.) And whiel it's sad to think about that, the Georgie progam is important to us.
The puppies all seem to be fine (they never acted sick) and nobody has hurled since around 3 pm yesterday - not even me ;-) Their poop is much improved as well (it's a little difficult to check puppy poo unless Bela is distracted and I happen to be right there when they go but Dog Cindi helped look today)
I tried something a little different this morning when it was time to change their linens. I rolled them up from one side and put down clean (there wasn't liquid soaked through or I'd have cleaned the rubber underneath). The puppies being true PWDs, came over to help me almost immediately but I did get the new ones down before they got over the hump. They were a little quicker to the other side but I moved thes and snatched, and moved and snatched until I had the dirty piled in the middle. Quickly got the puppies off to the sides and grabbed up the dirty. Putting the fleece in the middle was a little more difficult but I did get it in place if not perfectly neat. It'll be nice when they can go outside and I can take care of it while they play. Weather may be improved enough this week to start having outings.
Today, I put the yellow plastic stool in the pen upside down for them to explore. They climbed all over it and but we flipped it back over to use. They nap under it when it is upright and do a little chewing on it either way.
I also added some new toys, including the piano toy from our first litter. They are really funny with the toys. Mayor Bumble already pickes things up and they've all been trying to rearrange the fleece for me.
We are getting some teeth breaking through but so far, they are back teeth but it won't be too long now especially since they are gumming on everything they come across (siblings, fingers, clothes, toys, etc.)
I put some of the alfalfa pellets in a box lid that I cut access spots into. They were not too amused if I scooped them up and put them in their mid potty, it is a very differnt surface and very unstable so I quite doing that and just let them find their own way. They were very interested in it but a lot of that interest was in chewing on the edge of the box and the contents. And, I remembered to put most of the pellets into and old pillow cover so the surface is more stable to start with (and the mess is slightly more contained.) It's fairly small so I don't expect tons of success but I'll start putting them in when I'm pretty sure they need to potty (several of them are developing their potty dance) and soon, I'll use the bigger one and provide fewer options in the rest of the pen.
I rearranged the totes of dog/puppy stuff on my shelves so I can more easily change out the toys and add in new things. I had that stuff on the top shelf but that requires a step ladder so not currently the best plan.
We didn't do a photo shoot or a weight watcher's meeting. We had good intentions and did take some candid pictures but didn't send the card with CIndi (that reminds me, I should charge the camera tonight) so they aren't on the site yet. We had intentions of doing the weight watchers but waiting for the puppies to sleep, time just got away from us. It's on the agenda for tomorrow.
I wish I knew what upset their little tummies but it's awfully hard to tell in wee ones. I did give them pyrantel (wormer *) but that hasn't made puppies sick before (and at least one of them puked first.) * Even though the Mama has never had worms and neither has her mama (at least in the almost 10 years we've had her), there are likely some encysted in her tissue somewhere and the physical stress of pregnancy/whelping/nursing lets them become active. If the pupipies do have them in their systems, it wouldn't show up on a fecal (it takes longer than they've been alive for parasites to become detectable) so we go ahead an treat all of the dogs in the house to make certain. But mostly, I am thrilled they are feeling better.
Puppies are currently napping as are the big dogs so I think I'll sneak in another nap (I slept for about an hour and a half this evening - I'm a late afternoon/evening napper) although maybe this is pre-sleeping (like pre-eating when one is going somewhere that one isn't certain will have food that meets one's wacko deitary requirements and picky likes/dislikes). Anyway I am going to call if a day. Puppy breath to all and Nighty, Nighty, Nighty

No comments:

Post a Comment