Thursday, March 12, 2015

March 11, 2015 Pupdate

Pretty puppies hot, pretty puppies cold, pretty puppies in the pool 9 days old. Ok, we don't really let htem get hot or cold but it's running through my head so I'll share my earworm with y'all.
Yesterday's lack of sleep in the morning may have helped me last night since I managed to sleep from 2-4 instead of doing stuff all night long. Then I went to sleep in the bed for 4.5 hours so I was pretty perky compared to the day before. And I took a little nap this afternoon.
The big dogs seem pretty content with the sleeping arrangements. I have more room if I arrange the ottoben bed beside (and touching) one of the couches because then, all 3 don't have to be completely on the ottoben bed (it is the size of a twin xl bed, not quite room enough for me AND 3 grown dogs at the same time. They find it comfortable enough, I do not)
This morning, Bela came up for a cuddle after she fed and cleaned the puppies. She's gotten cuddles in the box and on the floor but she hasn't left them to come up and cuddle with me before today. She took Jack's monkey paw (I refuse to throw it for him from the bed, I don't want slobbery toys in the bed) and held it while I petted/scratched/cuddled her. Poor Jack has never defended himself and Bela has always felt free to take his toy out of his mouth (she usually does it pretty sweetly but she will snatch it if she is in a rush to parade). Then she tries to give it back (she will also offer things to other dogs or people, she doesn't seem to understand why we don't want a piece of cardboard from her mouth.) She stayed for several minutes and when she was done, she dropped his toy on the floor and checked on the young 'uns again.
The puppies passed the day being adorable. It's a tough gig but they have 9 days experience so I think it's becoming old hat to them. They are awfully good at it. They make some funny noises but they are Water Dogs. They'll be making a lot of noises their whole lives. They are adding little barky noises to their tribble like singing, too.
They've started finding me in the box. And like their mama (and pretty much all of her family), they like to rest their heads in your hand. Wonder if they'll close their eyes (once they get their eyes) while they do it like she does.
Some strange dog approached the yard this evening. I;m not certain which of the girls noticed it first but they mounted quite a defense very quickly. Fortunately, the dog retreated quickly but the girls maintained their strategic positions for a while to make sure it didn't come back. They took turns being the one guarding the puppies and being on the front line. Eventually they settled down but I doubt it will bother coming back. I hope it finds the way back home since I didn't get to check for a collar or tag. It was headed down the driveway and I wasn't about to try to get it to come back.
I think I'm going to try to sleep some again tonight. I'll just have to resist my many many impulses to count/cuddle sleeping puppies. We'll see how that goes. For now we'll say, nighty, nighty, nighty.

No comments:

Post a Comment