Tuesday, October 30, 2012

October 30, 2012 Cable and Power back

               The power is out.  We have the generator running so we have some lights but the cable keeps going out, too.  No cable means no phone or internet access.  The cell phone access is tied to the M-cell which requires the cable, too.  So right now, all we have is the alarm phone which doesn’t have long distance service.

               What I find really frustrating is that I wasted the time that I had with access on trying to report the outage to the power company – it took 3 tries and they made me listen to their long spiel every time before I could try to enter our info from the automated system.  And then when I finally got it to accept the information, I was interrupted by a political call.  This afternoon, I finally called the cable company and there is allegedly a crew en route to restore service.  I’m not holding my breath.

               The dogs and puppies take it all in stride.  I do not like not having internet access but I am ok with the things we can run with the generator.

               After they had their lunch, I took them outside in the snow in pairs.  I carried them out into the snow and then slowly walked a few steps away.  They all held still for a moment and then started eating snow.  If they didn’t come with me fairly quickly, I called and then they came.  A couple of the puppies were careful at first but then they got their snow legs and were generally rambunctious.  They’d play with my feet (apparently the snow on my shoes was very tasty); with each other; the snow and the occasional leaf.  One puppy put his head under the snow and tunneled.  It was really cute.  Panda Paws was ready to come inside before his sister was so I held him while she continued to play a little more.  Bruce had come outside and she was very interested in him.  She always goes flying to meet him.

               As they came back inside, (they were supposed to be tired and ready for a nap but apparently they didn’t all get the memo) I put them into the crate.  When they were all in, I cleaned their floor, potty pan etc. and put paper all over the floor.  They didn’t all go to sleep at once but there wasn’t quite the volume there is when they are all awake and want out.  Since we are limiting the outings outside, I brought in a few more things to enrich their lives.  They have the puppy pool and the raised bed again but they have already pulled the water bucket down.  I need to get Bruce to hang one of Jack’s bottles for them.   They’ve been awake and enjoying all of those additions, especially the pool – they’ve been in it and under it, crazy puppies.

               I finally got pink paper so I can get started on the puppy books when there is enough power to run the printer and computer.  

               The puppies definitely recognize my voice and the “pup, pup” or “puppy, puppy, puppy” call.  I keep making the mistake of using it when I want to call one puppy and I get 10 of them flying to greet me.  Even when they seem to be in a dead sleep.  I reward them all because how were they supposed to know the difference but I kick myself.  I did it once this morning when I had 2 puppies out of the pen but in the same room and again when the third one was getting up from a nap. I had taken the first 2 outside to let them pee and he was heading over to the potty pan.  I was on the other side of the pen so I called him and the rest of them woke up and came running as well.  Obviously, I did not get them outside for that set of pees. ;-)

               I think they are probably catching on to the emergency word and whistle, too but we are still very much in the imprinting phase of that.

               They just had a big dinner and all acted like they were still starving so I stood there and fed them more off of a spoon.  Spoiled much?  I’ll think of it as training since we worked on sitting, taking turns, and eating nicely off a spoon.  The puppies are now having a bug play session.

               The power just came back on and so did the cable (phone, internet, etc.)  Dog Cindi’s cable is still out.  I’m going to post this now just in case something goes out again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment