Tuesday, October 2, 2012

October 2, 2012 Pupdate

               I forgot to mention yesterday that SammieDoodlebug got a haircut.  She needed her butt and muzzle shaved and her jacket shortened to make it a little less noticeable that she had been shaved way up her sides for the pre whelp monitoring.  It’ll probably take a couple more times before she looks normal again, well as normal as a lion trim ever looks.  I am used to the lion and really prefer it so I am counting down the weeks until we start shaving little puppy butts.  We usually seem to start doing it at 5 weeks but maybe we’ll do these babies earlier.  Not sure anything is cuter than puppies in little lion trims.

               I brushed Doodlebug out in preparation for her hair cut (she doesn’t have a show coat right now but her legs are still pretty long) because I haven’t brushed her since the puppies were born.  That’s definitely the longest she has ever gone without being brushed and we had a few showers and lots of food drips in her leg hair, etc.  I was reminded again what Good Hair she has.  There were a couple of small knots/mats on her legs but they brushed right out.  Even when she went through the puppy coat change, she was easy to keep detangled (I oiled her coat once in preparation for a visit to dog Cindi’s so she wouldn’t have to keep up with the brushing and that was a waste of time.  She didn’t know anyway.)  Her coat was very profuse but stick straight at 8 weeks and we worried a little about how it would turn out.  Obviously, not only was there no need to worry, we should’ve been thrilled.  If any of the puppies get her coat, someone is going to have an easy life. 

A vet friend came today (I LOVE the mobile vet.  Great since I can’t drive) to get some samples to see if we can tell what it up with Jack’s urinary tract.  (Nothing contagious, he’s just had a couple of instances of high urine volume when he’s been playing in the pond/lake enough to drink a lot) but I am not one to let things go (I’m sure that surprises all of you doesn’t it?)  She didn’t flinch at my precautions but I didn’t make her don the Tyvek suit.  If she had come from the clinic, I would have.  She saw the puppies but didn’t hold them this visit.  (It’s all about Jack, the girls say.)  Doodlebug did come out of the puppy pen to make sure she did Jack’s exam correctly.  He got to retrieve before and after.  For all of you future (and current) dog owners, just another reason life is SOOO much easier when you teach your dog to eliminate on command. 

We discussed the schedule for the puppy vaccinations, microchips, heartworm, etc.  We will be doing vaccinations when the maternal antibodies will have expired so we don’t have to overload their little systems for no additional protection.

They seem to continue to move away from the sleeping zone to eliminate.  I just need to keep fostering that behavior.

They can definitely see things now.  There are 2 water buckets by the pen and Jack went to get a drink today.  A couple of the puppies saw him and went over to see what was up.  I know they know their mama by smell so they had to see him.

And they can find the weak point in the defenses.  I moved the tiny ex pen and put it around them so I could change out their linens and clean the rubber floor underneath but I didn’t latch it closed.  The only way to get them to stay in was to get Doodlebug to stay there with them.  Nice to have trained dogs (Jill is not obedient, Jill is the Queen so she did what was best in her judgment.  She has good judgment about what puppies need but not necessarily helpful about keeping them where I’d like for a moment or two.) Not sure who got out first but it wasn’t just one puppy.

I shopped for the magic whistles to go home with the pupsters.  It won’t be long before I need to start using the Magic Word and Magic Whistle with them so I better get them ready.

The puppies seem to recognize me or maybe they just like people in general.  I like that they stretch and yawn (so I can sniff puppy breath) and then cuddle in when I pick them up.  They don’t fight or get stiff when I hand them to Bruce or when he hands them back.  It’s going to take a lot of time to teach 10 puppies to nap while I hold them.  It’s a rough job ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment