Monday, October 8, 2012

October 7, 2012 Pupdate


               I finally realized what the puppies sound like when they are really nursing for all they are worth.  They sound like the geese getting ready to take flight off of the pond.   It’s much cuter coming from puppies than geese.

               They are also becoming more and more “helpful.”  Just like grown PWDs, whenever I try to do anything in their pen (change the linens, rearrange something, etc.)  I have several (all 10 if their mother is not near the entrance to the pen) little puppies all right there on it, under it, or in it to help me.  It might take longer but it’s awfully sweet.

               Also awfully sweet, hearing them lap up the formula from the dishes.   Doodlebug hasn’t puked for them yet (and they only have back teeth) so I haven’t started the real food yet but I do give them the formula a few times a day.  There is still a feeding frenzy but it’s easier if I take it in while they are sleeping.  Sleeping doesn’t last for long after I wake up a couple and show them the bowls.  They aren’t too careful about keeping their feet or anything else out of the bowl but they understand to get their faces in there and lick up the food.  Hearing all ten of them doing that at once is pretty cute.  I let SammieDoodlebug in after they are at least halfway through and she cleans them while they eat.  That will often cause many of them to switch over to trying to get a drink at the bar and sometimes she feeds them and sometimes not.  Most of them are able to grab a couple of swallows while she stands though.

               I love to listen to them and spend a lot of time doing that.  Even when I “leave” them alone, (I like them to experience not having a person within sight or smell at least a little while each day) I listen to them on the monitor.  I cannot hear the difference in each puppy but I can pretty much tell what they are doing.  When they play with the piano toy, they expect it to do something.  If I have turned it off, they will continue to try to get it to do something, and that occasionally includes barking at it.

               Have I mentioned that they are VERY, VERY cute?  Well, they still are so I’m going to repeat it again (and probably again and again.)

No comments:

Post a Comment