Saturday, October 20, 2012

October 20, 2012 Pupdate

               Hmm, five weeks old and they can go over the little ex pen.  I tried putting the sleeping puppies in the pool surrounded by the ex pen this am when it was time to clean out the puppy pen.  That went well until Granddam Jill and Mama SammieDoodelbug decided to sound the alarm at the back door and woke all of the sleeping monsters.

               There was no containing them in the pool after that.  And they kept knocking the ex pen away from the gate and escaping if they didn’t just climb over it.  Eventually, I gathered them all up and put them in Doodlebug’s crate and they SCREAMED and screamed and screamed.  Then they finally went to sleep.  Already, there are too many/too big to fit in that crate for long.  I took a few pictures with my cell phone.

               Dog Cindi got here around 11:15 and they were sleeping while I tried to get their area back together after waiting for the floor to dry.  I put some of the alfalfa pellets in the potty pan under the pad so they might start getting used to the scent of grass as a substrate.  (I am not above brainwashing puppies.)  As we carried them back, we put them in the potty pan and good little puppies all peed.  Some went back to sleep and some played after that but round one was in the right spot.  Later, with a little intervention, we got all but 1 poop in the pan also.

               Today I added oats to their meal.  I will start phasing out the formula and giving them water soon but not until they eat this with no problem.

               While Cindi was here, I gave 6 of them baths and introduced them to the force dryer.  I did the curlies first because I figured it would make the most difference in their hair.  Everyone had a decent experience with the possible exception of me because I was holding the wet puppies while I did it.  I still don’t like wet clothes touching me.  Since I wasn’t actually getting them dry, just introducing the concept, we had to sit around with puppies wrapped in towels (rough job, huh?)  There were only 3 of us here and 2 puppies is all you can really hold so that’s why the other 4 will had to wait.

               Triton, his sister, and his dad brought Rhonda and Gale to see the babies.  They arrived this afternoon after the feeding frenzy and during a pretty serious naptime.  Turtle was more awake and interacting than most of the other puppies but everybody got a few cuddles awake or not.  Their big dogs got to take a walk around the hill with Bruce and Gale but they kept them out of the pond.

               Bobby and Colleen came and did the photo shoot and got to meet the “in laws.”  55 new pictures are up on Picasa.  I am very close to my limit so I think I will have to link to one with one of my other email addresses for new pictures.  If I do, I’ll post that link.

               Nighty, nighty, nighty.  I’ll get back up to do last meal/last call but I’m going to lie down for a while since only a few puppies are still awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment