Friday, October 26, 2012

October 26 Six weeks old!

               Happy birthday to Uncle B.B.! 

               The puppies are 6 weeks old today.  I can breathe a huge sigh of relief that they are now old enough to get their distemper vaccine.  Since SammieDoodlebug’s titer was so low, chances are that they did not get any maternal antibodies for that in the colostrum.  They are good on parvo and adenovirus for a while yet but we got the distemper vaccinations today.  Yay, for one less worry.  The vet came to the house (I LOVE that they do house calls) examined each puppy (good hearts, healthy puppies) and gave the injections.  She found both testicles in the sack for all of the boys except Bluehemoth, he was trying to hide one but she found it.  I have found both of them down for all of the boys for a while now but they can suck them back up in for a while yet.  As long as they eventually come down, we’ll be good.

               Bluehemoth and Brain were playing tug of war with a metal food bowl.  That’s a good sign that they’ll pick up metal.  I’ll have to remember to start leaving spoons in their dishes, too.

               Lemony was pitching a hissy fit last night so I figured out she was doing her potty dance.  I took her outside and she immediately pooped.  What a good puppy!

               We enjoyed what appears to be the last of the good weather this afternoon.  I waited until after their post vaccination nap to take them out just in case anybody had a reaction at all (nobody seems to have) and we waited for Dog Cindi to come.  (We missed LeAnne, she had to stay at work. Poor LeAnne) Cindi hung out on the deck with the babies while I rearranged their pen for the umpteenth time.  I needed to do it while they were outside and the weather probably will not cooperate next week for that.  Now they have the big crate in there.  I took the two doors on the inside off so we don’t have to secure them, later I’ll put them on at night.  They’ll eventually start sleeping in small individual crates (not everybody at once, I don’t have 10 crates or space for them).

               When we brought them inside, we let them come in by themselves instead of carrying them.  Cindi helped them get in the door and I called them into the pen through the crate.  Once they got inside, they were quite good at coming to me.  I was sitting in the crate (I told you it was the big crate) and they came scrambling right to me.      Good puppies!

We also did the big dog’s toenails and reshaved Peppy’s lion butt.  He was awake last and hanging out with the people.  He stood so well on the table to be brushed that we decided to try it.  He was remarkably good and it was kind of amazing that we got so much hair off after 2 weeks.  We may work on the other ones tomorrow since it is not looking good for swimming in the pond and I don’t know if the pool is warm enough yet.  (Hey, if it’s not going to be in the pond – why should I go in the cold?)

They didn’t meet any new people today but they have already met 21 so we are well on our way to the goal.  I need to re check the surfaces list to see how we are coming on that.  But for now, we are going to call it a day and say Nighty, nighty, nighty to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment