Tuesday, October 30, 2012

October 29, 2012 Pupdate

               Good morning, good morning the pupsters say.  Fortunately, they don’t start saying that until I am downstairs.  I suspect that will change once I start reducing their nighttime space to the crate and potty pan but for now, they are very polite.  Maybe, since it doesn’t get light until later, they won’t get up as early as springtime puppies.  I’m not really counting on that but it’s a nice thought.

               The puppies have decided that the Lazy Susan is great fun to spin.  At least 3 different puppies at different times sat beside it and spun it around and around.  Big O did that while he was on it, maybe he’s not all mellow.

               This morning, I gave them some different chewy things: a lamb ear and 2 pieces of windpipe (like Moo tubes.)  They chewed and played with them and generally drove the big dogs crazy by not just eating them.  I think it is more a function of being puppies than being a hoarder like their GrandDam Jill (she will carry hers around until the other dogs are finished and then start chewing.  As a result, Jill usually gets a much smaller chewy than the other dogs because that’s annoying.)

               I left the stool in the pen again and it is quite the popular item.  Lemony is often lounging with her front half draped across it but it is common for another puppy to try to dethrone her.  Turtle was the first one I noticed completely on it but Lemony has been up there too (within 4 minutes of Turtle) so I suspect they’ll be playing a lot of monarch of the stool.

               As of 11 am, we still have power.  It’s a lot cooler and drizzly/rainy outside today so I don’t know if the puppies will get to go out in a group.  I haven’t finished puppy proofing the fencing so they may only go on the deck if we do go out.

               Doodlebug’s ears seem a lot more clear but she has a hematoma on the end of one so I’ve been putting a snood on her to keep her from making it worse when she shakes her head.  Plus this way, none of the little needle teeth rip it open.  She likes wearing the snood just fine but it reminds me of a peasant woman with a kerchief on her head surrounded by her large brood of  children.  I consider myself lucky that except for one day, I’ve managed only to have to put one on Doodlebug.  (Jill and Doodlebug are both VERY into anything that they can wear.  When one is in season, it’s easier to put bitch britches on both of them than to fight the other one off while I do it.  I leave Doodlebug’s snood alone if Jill is around so she doesn’t demand one as well.)

               Today, I added the most favored PWD item to the pen.  Paper for the potty pan area.  I did have smaller pieces under the pad but this afternoon, I put down newspaper end roll pieces.  BIG BIG fun!  More proof that they are indeed PWDs.

               Doodlebug is mostly limiting her visits into the pen to cleanup times unless she is still going in during the night and feeding them.  She feeds them while she cleans up and she stands there for a while until they are done.  She is being a VERY good mother.  I’m glad she’s still cleaning up after them even though they are eating other food.  10 poops a few times a day will be a lot of cleanup duty.  There is already lot of pee (she only cleans that up if they go on the bare floor.)

               We didn’t go outside as a group today.  I barely went outside at all as a matter of fact.  It’s cold and wet and windy.  So NOT my kind of weather.  If we get any snow tomorrow, I’ll take the babies out to see that but otherwise, I don’t foresee a lot of outside time.

               Nighty, nighty, nighty to all.  Have a good night for a pleasant tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment