Friday, May 13, 2016

Happy 6 week birthday pupsters.  And Happy Birthday to my human Daddy -he's slightly older than 6 weeks ;-)

They were very good again last night in the much reduced nighttime sleeping area.  They have the large crate, the small crate and the potty area with just a small amount of fleecy sleeping area. They don't make it through all night without any peeing but they haven't been pooping until after they go out in the morning.  And they are good about making it out the door before they pee, too.

Last night, I gave the big dogs their food before I fed the puppies.  Big mistake as GrammieSammie went over and puked for the puppies. Eventually, I got everyone fed appropriately and we went to sleep.  But this morning, Mila threw up while she was out with the puppies and they were nursing.  I'm not certain whether she just needed to eat or if she was doing what her mother told her (she didn't have much left in her system) but we will be more vigilant about making sure they don't feel the need to do it for us.

It was lovely weather for puppies to be outside today so they've taken advantage of it the whole day.  They slept through the time I would normally feed them lunch - I think they are putting themselves on a 3 times a day (plus snacks) meal plan.  I did give them some slightly watered down kefir in the late morning but they weren't voracious about eating that.  They WERE very excited about their afternoon meal though.

One of the daylight meals today was a picnic out in the grass (still in the communal dishes) this morning and they seemed to like that just fine.  They are starting to show real recognition that food is coming and it is something they want.  They still nurse but it's not enough for them so the food is important now.

And later, I came outside while finishing up a piece of bacon. I cannot believe how interested the puppies were in the scent.  Some of them were licking it off of my fingers.  One of the puppies was playing several feet away and she was very very interested.  She kept putting her head up and sniffing for where the scent originated.  Eventually she followed it to me and licked my fingers excitedly.

Tamara and I did the 6 week photoshoot today since the other Villagers couldn't make it.  Holding them up for the pictures makes it obvious that they are gaining weight.  It took a little while because we did it outside and the sun kept shining too brightly for her to see the pictures she had taken.

Mila plays more and more with them and they are often pretty rough with her and each other.  They are learning how ot play a little more gently through those interactions.  They do like to hang onto the flag of the big dogs, though.

They are now good at running around carrying toys including balls and they play a lot of king of the mountain: in the lid of the castle sandbox, on the castle sandbox, on the little hill in the dog yard, and on the bosu when it it is available.

I'm working more on making sure they have time when they know there isn't a human in the room but it is difficult for me.  They are happy to see us but can entertain themselves for hte most part, too.

Since they didn't come inside during the day, we didn't nap in a crate (they go into the playhouse or the airline crate, I won't close them in the airline crate outside but I will close the door to the playhouse - it has more ventilation and is easier to check on them.). We had them run isnide and into (at least towards) the pen for their late meal tonight.  I think I might open the 3rd door on the crate to make that eaiser for them.  As they get better at it, I will alternate which door lets them in to the food and let them problem solve a little more.

I need to sing the 3 songs and say nighty, nighty, nighty.  Puppy breath to all!


No comments:

Post a Comment