Wednesday, June 23, 2010

June 23 pupdate

The puppies got to play in the rain some today. While they were out for their morning ‘yard time’ it started raining and I let them enjoy that a little. They were pretty damp when they came in and altogether wet on their little undersides from the grass. (Perhaps we should mow?) After they came in, I took the big dogs out to play and we got rained on, too.

Cary got the first earned single bath today. Up until now, their baths have been because ‘it’s time’ or we took them to the pond but today, Carolina Blue earned his devil nickname. When I took him outside alone, he went under the steps and played. With the rain, there was some dirt that turned nice and muddy and it was all over his feet and tummy. During his bath (in the laundry sink, I need to give them showers soon for the experience) he was very well behaved but kept choosing to arrange himself so that the faucet poured right down on his head.

I forgot to close gate to the ex pen when I took the phone up to Bruce today and came right back downstairs to a puppy coming over the wall. They definitely are an athletic bunch.

When Green Bela asked to go out to potty this evening (I am getting much more adept at reading her signals so she doesn’t have to yell to me) we went ahead and took all of them out. It was still warm but not miserable and the puppies had big fun. They played with balls, ropes, dummies, etc and carried them up and down the stairs (too bad they left them all in the yard though. I am really thinking of going renegade on not working on retrieves until after the temperament evaluation) They played chase and tug and king/queen of the mountain. And discovered the eternal truth of water dog puppies, if the water bowl is big enough there will be puppies in it.

They have been on 10 different surfaces wet and dry and another 3 just dry plus mud which only comes in wet ;-) We are also up to 32 unduplicated visitors since they turned 4 weeks old. I think we are on target for most of our goals. I have been carefully screening their tv viewing as well. Last night they had to watch a car race and some loud sporting event. I went upstairs so I didn’t have to listen to it – it’s a good thing I am not a puppy ;-) Today they had to watch some public television, too. They are going to be pretty well informed puppies ;-)

Limey did something that I meant to report but it’s escaping me at the moment. Maybe typing this will jog my memory – if not, maybe rereading it later will.

All of them have discovered their roots – literally. They were digging into the roots of the grass on the little back where they play king of the hill and having enjoying the roots. They seemed to have a little grass as well. I guess I need to make sure they are getting enough green stuff in their diets. With the big dogs, if they don’t think they are getting enough, they go out and graze.

They are having a little semi quiet play time now. A couple of them are playing with the float line trainer (Brownies), another couple are in the cat ring and two are playing with the rubber chicken. Wonder who will get to sleep in the lazy susan until bedtime? It seems to be a favored choice of theirs. I think it has outgrown it’s usefulness as something to unexpectedly shift beneath their footing. They spin it now and nap in it. Maybe if I put it under the climbing spot…

Time to start the nighttime rituals. Nighty, nighty, nighty to all. Enjoy the waning puppy breath dreams…

No comments:

Post a Comment