Friday, June 25, 2010

7 weeks old

The babydogs are 7 weeks old tonight. I can’t believe how time flies. Another week and they’ll be old enough to start leaving me ;-( I won’t be ready for them to start leaving though.

They found a dead little bird that had flown into one of the sliding glass doors and broken its neck. They do NOT have a drop it or a leave it command – the new owners will have to work on that – so I had quite a time getting it away from them. It was a little thing, I think from one of the nests in the burning bushes along the driveway and their yard. I tried to throw it up on the hill where I generally fling the poop but it was too much like a shuttlecock and fell on the driveway. Glad I had a glove on for flinging and reflinging the poor little dead bird.

Indy’s Cindi and her parents came over this evening to help socialize the puppies. Her mom brought a cane and pretended to use it. The puppies were not at all put off by that, in fact, they seemed to think it might be the greatest toy ever. I wonder if I put the tunnel and the cane out which would be more popular. I suspect they would take the cane into the tunnel.

Cindi and I did toenails on the little ones last night, too. They are getting too big to hold and do it with all of that foot hair. They don’t try to fight getting their nails clipped, it’s just awkward with them getting so big. We may try to Dremel them this weekend.

They have found new ways to terrify me. Instead of just going up and down the 2 steps from the decking, they leap off the top one and go running OR just turn around and climb back up to do it again. None of them have gotten out of the reinforced yard but they do like to hang out under the steps. I tried putting a board up to stop that but unless I mount it permanently, they can move it. Since their mother can still get under the other steps, I’m not too worried. I can always pull them over if I need to get someone out. When I call for them and the rest come running, the one underneath pops its head out and then crawls on out. (It reminds me a little of the time the cat went through the ball return on the pool table and came up out of the far corner pocket.)

Royal asked to go outside to go poop this afternoon. That’s another good sign. All of them are quite willing to go when I get them out there but these are the ones that are actually asking to go out instead of looking around for a spot on the inside potty zone. They all pitch a hissy to get out of the nighttime zone to go potty in the mornings, though. Other than the fact that that means I get up even earlier, it’s a good thing ;-)

Getting up early means I need to be ready to get to sleep soon so I’m going to go give the puppies their turndown service and enjoy some cuddle time before we say Good Night Moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment