Monday, June 21, 2010

June 20 Pupdate

The puppies were awake before dawn but stayed pretty quiet. I think I am only hearing them because I am sleeping in the downstairs bedroom. At least that’s what I hope.

They got some good last minute cuddles before all of the little girls left. My nephew played some loud video game with all kinds of sound effects in it. We turned it up to where it was so loud that I, his mother and even he thought it was too loud but the puppies didn’t seem to care. The only thing we’ve ever seen them react to happened later in the day. I gave SammieDoodle a water bottle (she likes to take the lid and the label off) but Indy grabbed it (he likes them as well) and was crackling it really near the ex pen. They all ran into the crate but came back out. One of them took a little longer to get ok with it so I put one in their pen. They discovered the joy of killing a bottle in moments.

After we did some water practice in the pond with the big dogs and the visiting dog, we took the puppies up to the pond. We drove them up 2 at a time and took them swimming. They all waited until their chins hit the water before they started swimming but everyone did fine. Only Purple Bela and Royal T went back in on their own but none of them were particularly worried. Limey scared me half to death because he started toward shore and then turned around and swam towards the middle. We got him turned back around. Indy’s Cindi took video and I finally got it loaded on Youtube. (That’s why the blog wasn’t on until the morning of the 21st)

We had a weight watchers meeting today. It took 3 sighted people to get weights on them so I don’t feel so inept. They are big wriggly, walking puppies with better things to do than hang out on that scale. They are good sized puppies now in the 7 to 9 pound range. Limey was the biggest at 9; Cary was next at 8.4; Green Bela and Royal T came in at 8.2 and pink and purple were the little girls at 7. I am happy with the gains and everybody seems plenty healthy and active. Matter of fact, I had bought a little lifejacket for them to wear until they get bigger but it’s already too little for them.

We reinforced the fence in the back yard with ex pen so now we only have to really closely monitor the back part with the orange fencing. We haven’t had any new escapees but they’ve all checked it out. They are all very good to come when called so it’s not too bad but I don’t take them all out at once if I am alone. Maybe if I put bells on them…

Milestone as far as I am concerned – we haven’t had a puppy poop inside in 2 days. In the case of Green Bela, it is her decision. She pitches a hissy fit at the entrance of the pen until she is taken outside. She can wait a few minutes, too while we idiotic people figure out what she wants. Since they all ask for attention, it takes a minute to figure out the difference.

Another milestone, we are working on sitting to get picked up or petted. It doesn’t keep them from mouthing people and their clothes so we have to be ready with the redirection toys, too. They are getting more and sharper teeth all of the time and are learning from each other and the other dogs how to use them. I hope they learn how not to use them too before long ;-)

Tune in tomorrow – although it probably won’t be as exciting as today was. I need to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment