Wednesday, June 2, 2010

June 2 Pupdate

Puppies, puppies, puppies! They are actually starting to carry the smaller toys around with them at times. They are also pulling on the float line training toy that I alternate between hanging on the ex pen and leaving on their floor. They play with it either place, just differently. I haven’t observed any tug of war between puppies yet but they have pulled on objects.

It was bound to happen and today it did – I quicked a toenail. It was just a little and it barely bled but the puppy whimpered and Jill wanted to know what I was doing to her baby. I’ve been trimming their nails with them lying on their backs on my chest in the recliner. I use people fingernail clippers but their hair is getting long and keeping me from getting clean clips. I let her right herself and we had a little cuddle before I did a few more of her nails. I also filed them a little after that. I am trying to get them accustomed to both. We’ll probably give Dremeling a go before they leave but (dog) Cindi is the Dremeler. I keep the hair out of the way.

Jill’s flag has been deemed a very fun toy. I guess they are getting enough to eat since they were playing with her flag instead of nursing. She feeds them while she stands a couple of times a day. I’m not sure how she decides the difference but she seems to know best.
Jill is willing to join me and the dogs for some exercise in the mornings. It is fairly hot and humid so I’ve been taking them before I’d normally be up if we didn’t have puppies. Jill even went wading in the pond at the end of our trek today. I didn’t dry her hair after her shower so she stays damp for a long time. That’s another reason to go early in the day, maybe she’ll be dry enough by bedtime that she doesn’t mildew ;-)

We brought up the ex pen for outside and some additional pieces for the inside area. I am going to start leaving out Jill’s pool since the puppies can get into it now too. That means I need to create a smaller space for them so they potty naturally in the designated area. They are moving away from where they sleep but they aren’t always going on the pan. Baby steps since I want them to learn to decide where is a good place to go. I think they may get a little outside on the wheelchair ramp in progress (most people would call it a deck but it’s actually going to be a wheelchair entrance to 2 different doors. The flat part was the first completed. But, as usual, I digress.) this weekend. I’ll have to be careful that they don’t get too warm. The front porch may end up being a better spot. We’ll give a full report when it happens ;-)

We have some new teeth in a few of the puppies. They are gnawing on each other with their swollen gums and their little tiny tooth points with abandon. When those teeth really start coming in, they will start teaching each other how to be careful. And if they don’t catch on from each other, Jill will teach them. I wonder if SammieDoodle will tell them not to bite. (Jack doesn’t tell other dogs stuff like that but he will ask me to make them stop.) There’s always something to look forward to with puppies. I was thinking about the best way to do their first swim while the “big dogs” were playing in the pond this morning. If this weather keeps up, we’ll get pleanty of chances when the puppies are ready. For now, I need to prepare their pen for nighty, nighty, nighty time and get some cuddles and sniff some puppy breath while they still have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment