Monday, June 14, 2010

June 14 Pupdate

Pupadoos had another good day of sleeping and eating and playing with very little time in between each of those activities. It never ceases to amaze me how very quickly they go from playing hard to dead sound asleep.

They are all eating well in spite of the fact that Jill still nurses them several times a day. She always stands for that now. She’s still doing a really good job cleaning up after them. She’s a little slower if people are in the pen with them but it seems to be only because she has a harder time getting in. We tend to congregate by the entrances – it’s hard to get much further than that wading through puppies who are SOO very happy to see you up close and personal.

This evening I se the ex pen up in the grass in the shady dog yard. It is still very humid but not as bad as during the middle of the day. I carried the puppies out and left them there while I did the evening turn down service. I haven’t been leaving mints on their little pillows- maybe because they don’t have little pillows. They aren’t that spoiled Cindi ;-) At least 3 of the puppies took that opportunity to poop. The more they get used to doing that outside, the faster training will go.

When it was time to bring them back in, I tried a little experiment: I put Pink! on the decking of the wheelchair ramp and grabbed another puppy. Then I carried him and called her. She did pretty well – coming to me from about 5 feet away and following me into the house. There were 3 puppies left and rather than making 2 trips, I put Limey on the deck and scooped up the other 2 boys. Then I called Limey and he followed me right into the house and up to the entrance of the pen. He is really quite the little man right now.

Everybody is taking turns making each other squeal and learning about their teeth and how to appropriately use them. They are strengthening their little bodies and becoming more and more coordinated through play. They are catching on to eating out of the puppy saucer but still get it everywhere. They don’t seem to be climbing into the pan until after all of the food is long gone so I don’t know how they make such a mess with it but they find a way. Yesterday several naps were taken IN the food bowl. I took it out today so no naps occurred in that location. I did not notice a significant decrease in napping so I guess they are ok

At the evening meal, she let them eat some, then nursed them and then let them eat some more. I think I can continue to rely on her instincts so I will. She is definitely losing weight but so far she isn’t too awfully thin thanks to the extra weight we put on her before the breeding. I’ll just make sure she keeps seeing me feed the puppies so she doesn’t feel the need to puke for them anymore.

We have lots of bouncing and pouncing during play and both paws up when they want to be picked up. They aren’t quite coordinated to hold that too well yet and sometimes they fall over backwards. They are pretty used to doing that while playing with each other anyway so it’s not too big a worry. They are fairly tough little pupadoos and getting stronger every day. That’s what all of that sleep will do for you, I guess. Anybody see a segue coming there – you were right we are going to get ready to call it a day. Nighty, nighty, nighty and puppy breath dreams to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment