Sunday, May 30, 2010

Pupdate May 30

Big day here! We have TEETH. I’ve been so busy feeling where the front teeth are going to come in, they snuck in back, teeth. Every puppy has at least one barely broken though the surface and a couple of them have 2. They can definitely be felt but my sister says you can’t see them as white teeth back in there yet. We’ve all felt around on them though. They are chewing on each other a LOT though so I figure we are going to start having all kinds of little needle teeth before long. Maybe Jill will let Penny see them then ;-)


My niece and I worked on the crate pads for the puppies to take with them when they leave. They are mostly to give the puppies something cuddly with the scent of home on them so perfection isn’t quite as important. They will have been made with love by an almost 9 years old girl and her blind aunt (the puppies’ breeder.) Any seams that aren’t perfectly straight will just have to be overlooked. These are PWD puppies, they may well rip the things to shreds before they are grown (or after.)

We also worked on paw prints. The first set of dough we made was too wet. (Sounds like a Goldilocks story starting here doesn’t it.) I researched more recipes and we added a LOT more salt and had better results in the texture. Then we had interesting results while coloring them. Lime and Green turned out pretty close. Baby blue has a little turquoise tinge and my hands are quite bright blue to match Royal’s. Pink is a little pale and Purple finally had to have some juice from my blueberry cobbler added to get it to approach pruple (it was more lilac.) After I put their little paw prints into the clay, it was determines that while I can feel them, nicely. They are harder to see. So next time (if I don’t come up with another harebrained scheme – harebrained scheme suggestions welcome by the way) I will leave the dough plain and paint the paw prints afterward. The paw prints are sitting in the oven drying (the oven is off but the pilot light keeps it warm) at least overnight. I’ll let you know how they turn out.

The not-so-little Boobabies definitely move with a purpose towards things they see, be it another puppy or person or the occasional toy (and of course, their mother.) They also go to SammieDoodle when she is around. She loves to lick their faces and they seem to like it because they’ll follow her around and paw at her. They haven’t tried to nurse on her yet, though. Jill sometimes stands for them to nurse now and they can all reach up and eat while she stands there.

We had a partial weight watchers meeting while Debbie and Marta (dog friends)and (Dog) Cindi were here. We (and by we I mean they) took some head shots (with ribbons showing for Tamara) with their cameras that I should get to put on Picasa (and maybe Facebook) today after they give them to me. My sister was joking that they didn’t take that much concern with the pictures they took of their children. (I told her they didn’t have to decide which ones to keep.) And it’s apparently still hard to take a good picture of a black dog. I think Bruce is especially relieved that he hasn’t been asked to take pictures of the puppies yet.

Anyway, the only participants in the weight watchers meeting were Limey and Baby Blue and both of them came in at 5 pounds. Everybody kept saying how big they are and how heavy they feel. They are solid little puppies but they aren’t nearly as heavy as Jack, Jill and Sammie – even Indy has a few pounds on them ;-)

I’m sure tomorrow will be another big day so we are going to sing the 3 songs and go nighty, nighty, nighty. If any of you prospective puppy owners want different songs to be in their repertoire, let me know so I don’t just sing the one’s from when Jack was little (still part of the dogs’ bedtime ritual. Sounds crazy but it works like a charm when they need to settle down.)

1 comment:

  1. So cute, thoughtful and well planned... Great job Cristi, as always!
    Natasha

    ReplyDelete