Friday, May 14, 2010

May 14 pupdate

The little pupsters ears are starting to change, they'll be able to hear before too long. I wonder if that will increase or decrease the noise they make. I can't tell anything about their eyes opening yet but I don't feel too closely because I don't want to damage the little eyes under there.

Puppy yoga is going well and the little buggers are getting good at climbing over each over and Jill. They have a tendency to be like little ticks (sorry Cindi) - they suck until they swell up and then fall off. They sleep where they land. The funny part is when they are in a pile and one of the lower puppies wriggles out or rolls over and the ones on the top of the pyramid roll off. A lot of the time, they don't even wake up when they tumble down. I can't believe how soundly they sleep.

I have been trying to make note of whether or not the brown puppies are together more than with the black puppies. Sometimes, they are but other times they are cuddled up with one of the other puppies. Who knows, I may even add it to my spreadsheet and check at regular intervals. Depends on how busy the puppies keep me ;-)

I've been trying to make sure I have all of the things I need for their environmental enrichment as their eyes and ears open. I may need to DVR some programs just for them. Obviously, I don't play video games but I may be able to find something similar. Or I may have to make a dvd of something on the internet for them. Amazing the things you can find on Youtube.

It's also amazing how many calories Jill needs every day to feed those puppies and she's not even at her peak. She is willing to eat whenever I offer but 4100 calories is a lot of food. I have to schedule it out to make sure she's getting enough. Jack and SammieDoodle get a little bite whenever Jill eats but Jack especially is surprised that I am not fixing a bowl for him too. As all of the dogs here will tell you (and sometimes Bruce might say so, too) it's all about Jack.

We've reached a milestone. Nobody did the night shift with the puppies, we slept in our bed with the baby monitor and there were no problems. Granted I didn't sleep as long as normal but I did get a morning nap on the couch, too so I'm probably not too grumpy. (Hey it's my blog and that's my story!)

Puppy yoga is progressing like clockwork - it goes very quickly but I guess since each thing is only a few seconds that's to be expected. I think it might be more difficult in a huge litter but I can keep track of these puppies pretty easily. Usually, I go in birth order but if some of them are eating, I'll change it a little. I only delay if Pink or Purple are the ones eating because they are the smaller ones. I also always do it near bedtime since that is when they were born. Plus it's easier without SammieDoodle trying to see what I am doing to make those puppies fuss. I think Jill recognizes it now; she doesn't supervise as closely but I don't try to take them far away to do it either.

Getting another big storm so I probably better get this posted in case the electricity goes off. Somehow, I don't think the MSU would think we needed to run the generator just for me to blog ;-)

Puppy breath dreams to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment