Saturday, May 8, 2010

Home!

I am running on next to no sleep and anyone who knows me at all realizes that isn't a good thing! Fortunately, there wasn't any hurling.

I stayed awake all night ( I know this because I checked my watch a lot. I bet Cindi is glad I have a tactile watch and didn't have to use a talking one.) Jill, of course, had things well under control but I am a firm believer that a pound of prevention is worth an ounce of cure so I had to keep feeling to make sure all of the puppies were in good spots.

Jill ate around 5 am, I ws supposed to keep it light in case the anesthesia made her nauseous. She was fine and told me she needed to eat for those puppies but that it really would be better if I handed her each bite so she didn't have to get up ;-) Cindi took her out to walk the plank (our euphemism/cue word for the dogs to potty - and yes, sometimes it does involve a plank.) Having a dog go on command is a wonderfully convenient thing but she needed to go anyway.

After we fed her and she fed the puppies, we packed up the last of our stuff and headed out for home. We took the Porty Wagon (the camper van) so we'd have room for all of our stuff (plus it has a toilet so I don't have to feel my way around potentially nasty public restrooms) and we set Jill and her new puppies up in her whelping box (wading pool.)

We had a pretty uneventful drive home and got here mid afternoon. I did have the good fortune to come home to a VERY clean house courtesy of my mother in law. Jack and Sammie Doodlebug were as happy to see me as I was to see them.

After we got Jill and the puppies settled in, Cindi stayed with them while I took Jack and Doodle out to play for a few minutes. We went up to the pond and they swam and retrieved for about 45 minutes and then I gave them showers. Jill insisted that they not be allowed to eyeball her puppies so I hung sheets on the ex pen for her.

Cindi took Sammie home with her so she could play with Indy and I waited for Bruce to get home so I could take a bath and go to bed. I don't even know if it was dark yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment