Saturday, April 30, 2016

April 30, 2016 Pupdate

Whew!  We are ALL worn out today.   No wonder as it has been another busy day here.

Since we have some canine teeth poking through and Tamara won't be here all day tomorrow, we did NOT wait for Mila to hurl for the puppies or everyone to have canines to do the first non-MamaMila food.  So I mixed ground beef and goat milk kefir and a little probiotic and warmed it up.  Dog Cindi came to play/help so after the initial greetings of the old dogs and a little puppy cuddling, we were ready.

They decided that they had to man cameras instead of getting their fingers/hands into the lovely concoction so the pups and I went at it alone.  Most of them were asleep which makes it a little easier for me to start.  I dipped it onto my fingers and put it near mouths and puppies commenced licking.  The second puppy bypassed my fingers at first and went straight into the dish.  After her sister was also eating from the dish as well, I added another puppy.  And another, and so on until they were all lapping the stinky stuff up.  Some of them had an initial preference for eating it from a sibling's coat but they all got VERY bulgy little tummies.  I invariably make too much the first time (it's hard to get the perfect consistency) so MamaMila finished it up for me.  She also cleaned it up from the blankies and the puppy faces.  They all took the opportunity to top off their tanks (which had to be very full already) while she cleaned up.

They had a little play and a little rest and we took our first trip outside.  It wasn't hot today and it was actually drizzling rain so we got a twofer.  We each carried 2 puppies and put 3 of them in the play house (on a dry blanky I just took out there) and 3 in the castle sandbox (on another blanky).  Eventually, they all wandered around exploring the deck area.  Some of them were mostly following their mother and some of them were busily exploring.  We were getting wet and cold so we got them all in the playhouse (one was handed in through the window but I'll make certain she knows where they door it) and I cuddled them a few minutes to make sure everyone was warm and snuggly and them we took them inside. 

When they went to sleep after that adventure, I put them in the pool with their fleece to change out the linens.  They mostly stayed asleep but Cindi needed to cuddle a couple of them at various times (SHE needed to cuddle but they were happy enough to oblige).  Then I started the next round of puppy laundry and prepared the bathing area.

At this age, I bathe them in the laundry sink (next to the running washing machine so another first - except I think I've carried most of them in their at various times.  BUT the clock restarts at 4 weeks so we're doing it anyway).  Then I gave them each their first bath.  Tamara took pictures but fortunately didn't videotape it because, as with so many puppy activities, there is an accompanying song.  One of them didn't want to sit IN the water but was fine with it being poured over and another couple wanted to completely lounge in the water.  They were all good about being rinsed - eventually, I use the sprinkly stream out of the faucet (more like a real shower will eventually be).  There is one that I predict will be very interested in playing with the water from the hose when we start that.

Each puppy was 'wrung out' - each leg, undercarriage, ears and tail just like a big dog - and then snuggled up in a nice warm towel like a little puppy burrito.  Then it was handed over to Aunt Cindi for warm cuddling.  After puppy number 3, we had to move her from the couch to the puppy pen.  After number 6, I held the puppy burrito.  We snuggled nose to nose for a nice long time, until MIla insisted that she needed to take a little free range walk around the yard.  We did not encounter the geese and their brood of goslings she has seen at least a couple of times today. Apparently we have not had the dogs at the pond nearly enough this spring because they nested and hatched eggs.  With any luck the coyotes, foxes and hawks will take care of them or they will move off before water time for us.  They need to stay in the woods or pond and not poop all over the yard, dock and area by the pond.  But alas, being wildlife, they are untrained...

After the trip outside in my wet clothes, I needed a warm bath so I went to warm up and have a little nap while the pupsters rested.  They've had a few playtimes but Mila actually laid in the pen with them for quite a while this evening (they were all sleeping, too). I can't figure out it she liked the clean puppy smell or if she wanted to get her scent back on them.

We held a weight watchers meeting before Tamara went up to bed - only Trillium hasn't passed the 5 lb mark and we now have over 33 lbs of puppies.  I think we've gotten the hang of weighing them on the bathroom scale but it weighs in increments of 2/10 of a lb.  At this weight, that's probably precise enough.  I posted all of the pictures and a couple of videos to the facebook page - and I put a link to it on the sidebar.  Here it is again:

www.facebook.com/Mila2016.puppies.allyn

it worked for me so please try it and let me know if it doesn't work.  I also had to copy pictures and videos off of my ipad again and delete because I used up so much of the space.  I've cleared off plenty so we're good to go again.  There's LOTS to do in the coming weeks.  The little sponges need to soak up all kinds of lessons.

I almost forgot that we put the Totofit disk in the pen this evening.  It's gotten a little usage but not much yet.  It's been a big day, there's always tomorrow.  We are going to work on the not starting a day until full daylight again tomorrow - as long as they play quietly in the sleepy area, like they do at 2:30am, it'll be fine.

Puppy breath to all! Nighty, nighty, nighty

No comments:

Post a Comment