Monday, October 19, 2020

10/18/20 Pupdate

The MSU had to work all night Fri and Sat so I am even more confused about what happened when than usual with puppies.  I get some sleep beside them but I wake up when they are too quiet and when they are noisy.  (I’m not quite as bad as Aurora Greenway; I don’t wake them/make them cry  but I still wonder/worry constantly). Now that he’s awake, I can  at least go take a nap where I can’t hear them but know he’s watching them before he needs to go to sleep tonight.

Their eyes are opening more and more and they get up to walk around (unless they are headed to the Mama, that usually means they need to go potty so I’ll put them on the pad if I beast Phoebe to them.  She still cleans it up wherever they go but her preference seems to be to get it straight from the source.  Pottying seems to be her cue to fill them back up as well.  I try to make sure the ones who are smaller/not gaining as quickly get prime locations but it’s not necessary.  Nobody is tiny or failing to thrive; they are all plenty strong and active but not worrying is not in my wheelhouse.

Caly, Deja’s Mama/SDB’s daughter/Phoebe’s half cousin and who knows what else to the puppies right now, has decided that the puppies aren’t too bad.  She occasionally looks over into the pen but seems plenty satisfied not to have to provide for them in any way.  Good parenting must have skipped a generation because SDB was great and Deja is very good with them, too.  She is ALL about the extra meals, especially the chicken with bone and skin (she could slide into a weight issue so she gets mostly bone and meat; her mama eats the skin and most of the meat since at 13.5, I’m not sure she should have a lot of bone that she has to chew herself)

It’s also a little difficult to sleep when 3-4 of the dogs are trying to sleep with me on the ottobenbed (it’s the size of a twin x/l) and nobody seems interested in sleeping on the couch I roll over as an annex.  When Phoebe comes up for her cuddle time (she generally lies with or right beside the puppies), she smacks me in the face if I am not alert enough to pet her the way she wants (she inherited that from her mother B.)

Speaking of her mother B, she is now done with her 2 weeks of quarantine for the respiratory infection that was going around while she stayed with Debbie when we were in North Olmsted waiting for puppies.  Fortunately, she did not develop any symptoms.  So Dog Cindi was allowed to wear her quarantine clothes home yesterday (since it was going around before the puppies were born, she brought a couple of outfits here before she picked up Bela.  I just washed them with the puppy laundry and she’d wash and change when she got here.  Bet that makes the rest of you visitors happy that you only have to wear clean clothes; take off shoes/wear covers/dip shoes; wash your hands and put on a smock when you start coming to see puppies ;-)

Dog Cindi brought us some fruit so we can add those scents each day to puppy yoga so yesterday we added banana peel.  Only Phoebe would eat any of the banana (she she was only willing to eat half) but it was a fairly ripe one.  I’m not sure which one we’ll use tonight.

I aaded brushing the babies to our cuddle time today.  I used the butt/muzzle brush (it’s a small boar bristle paddle brush.). Followed, of course, with their dab of probiotic.  They open their little mouths pretty consistenly when they are being cuddled (the better to get a hit of puppy breath).  They also have a really good start on a chin rest and are pretty good at following a hand (at least my hand) back to the group.

I think that’s about it for today.  Puppy breath to all,  Nighty, nighty, nighty

No comments:

Post a Comment