Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Sept 9, 2014 Pupdate

               The pups and I were somewhat off schedule last night and this morning.  I was the one off schedule but they adapted.  I took them out to potty around 10 and gave them a little snack to lure them back into their pen.  I need to either crate the big dogs or put them in another room when I am calling the puppies into the pen.  It’s further from the door than where I set it up before and the big dogs tend to get in between the puppies and the door more than they did before. Anyway, they had a little snack then and again at last call. I woke up at 4ish and couldn’t get back to sleep (planning their day’s adventures) so I got up at 5 and took them out to potty (they were asleep when I came down) and gave them some bites in case I managed to go back to sleep.  I didn’t but they were still sound asleep at daylight and later.  I finally went in a woke them up to go outside at about 8:30 am.  I also gave them breakfast then. 

               It was cool enough to play outside for quite a while but I did put the top on the ez up to give us some lasting shade.  I planned to let them stay outside as long as it wasn’t too hot but they got a little too rambunctious with the containers on lemongrass and mint plants.  They’ve been pulling leaves and stems off but Kodiak climbed up into one and was pulling and starting to dig.  I removed him (he smelled so nice and lemony) but then they ended up knocking one of the pots.  So I put the puppies inside and took the pots outside of the gate.  Then I cleaned up the dirt as best I could.  The puppies brought some in with them but they smell like clean dirt and lemon and mint.

               We had afternoon naps in crates.  They were sleeping when I put them in and didn’t fully awaken.  I opened the doors almost immediately after them awakening so nobody felt the need to pitch a hissy.  So far, so good and I managed to have a little nap while they slept, too.

               They also had an introduction to turkey necks. I held them until they got the hang of chewing on them together and then let them have at it.  They mouthed and chewed and gnawed for quite a while and then the Mama wanted in with them.  She let them nurse while she picked up the turkey necks and chewed them up and left them for the pupsters to actually consume.  She’s SUCH a good mama dog.

               It was pretty warm outside this afternoon so I put water in the whelping pool and sprayed the deck, the ez up and the puppies to keep them cool.  The only reaction they seemed to have was to turn their faces up to the water coming out of the hose.  I don’t think they do that with rain but they do seem aware that this is different (they watch me a lot.)

               They went outside to play after dinner, too.  They ran around and played and jumped in and out of their pool and pulled up some Bermuda and generally had a high old time until a little after 8.  It wasn’t pitch black out there yet but it was dark so I brought them inside.  We had a little brushing of the hair along the way with the slicker brush (we’ve been just using the wooden pin brush but they are getting long enough hair to begin some real hair brushing.)

               They are winding down now, but I am not going to close their area in until I do last call.  I am going to go ahead and post this so we’ll say nighty, nighty, nighty to all…

No comments:

Post a Comment