Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Sept 8, 2014 7 Weeks Old!

               Pupsters were awfully cute this am and didn’t throw a fit to get up before daylight.  I came down and took them outside at 7:30 so they could potty.  It’s been a relatively pretty day – relative because I detest autumn weather other than it’s nicer for the puppies than hot and humid – so we’ve spent a lot of it outside. 

               The MSU moved one of the stepping stones to cover a spot on the edging which let the puppies discover that there was STUFF! under the rocks!  And they have object permanence apparently because they went straight for pulling up the plastic that is under the river rocks this morning.  I had tried covering it up with the seesaw and other toys but that didn’t work.  So they accompanied me on several trips out of the dog yard to gather up BIG rocks to prevent their access to the plastic.  So far, that seems to be working and they were very good to follow me in and out of the yard and come when I called them. 

This evening, I set one of the container plants out of the gate (they were turning it over to play with the lemongrass and that’s asking for trouble.  They do make the air smell lemony and minty a lot by playing with/in those containers) and they came flying to go with me.  I think I need to start carrying food on me.  I had to rely on the MamaBug to come out and lure them all back inside at once.  She gave them a little snack and then came back into the house.

It’s only a matter of time until I need to block off the dog door.  They are very interested in what the big dogs are doing when they come and go through it and stick noses and front feet up there.  I’ll probably wait until the first puppy goes through though, I hate for the big dogs not to be able to come and go as they please – especially Doodlebug while the babies are outside. 

I spent most of the day outside with the pupsters so SDB and Jack came out to hang with me some as well.  They had to time their visits well or tolerate the puppies – at one point Jack was lying next to the house with 2 puppies sleeping next to him – fore and aft.  When another one decided to approach from Port, he got up and moved but he didn’t bark about them touching him.

I can’t believe they are getting so old.  I don’t think I like it much either ;-(  On the one hand, they are even cuter because they can do more but every minute is a minute closer to them leaving and THAT I don’t like one little bit.  I try to console myself with the thought of how happy their new families will be to have them but that doesn’t make me miss them any less.  So, for now at least, I will do my best Scarlett O’Hara impression and put off thinking about that.

I was listening to some other people’s puppy videos while the babies were napping and the people called their puppies (with the pup, pup, pup that most breeder’s seem to use)  All 5 of them woke up and came running to me.  Obviously, I had to stop what I was doing and have a big GOOD PUPPY party because I needed to reward that behavior.  I wonder if I could remote train them?  If I had extra time on my hands, I’d try that with the treat n train and a walky talky.  Maybe with the next puppy I keep…

Apparently, it is considered BIG fun to balance one’s back feet on the lazy susan while one’s front paws are on the raised middle of the large flying saucer food bowl.  I’m not certain it matters whether it is the food dish or water dish.  Probably food because they are often lying in the water one.

The kiddie pool of empty water bottles is apparently the perfect place for puppies to shop for just the right bottle.  Maybe that’s the whole point of the pool o’bottles, that or to teach puppies to start recycling at an early age ;-)

I think I need to call my next puppies vampire names.  They are starting to nibble on my neck when we are cuddling. I forget that they eventually do that, it’s actually kind of sweet (at least to a crazy dog lady) as long as they do it gently.  So far, they are being good about doing it gently to me.

The puppies are hitting their ‘cat’ phase.  Lots of lying on their backs paws flailing at each other, at toys, at the things that dangly from the sky, etc.  They also like to curl up in thing: food bowls, boxes, planters (hence my moving the one outside the gate), the catch pan under the planter once it gets picked up because puppies are rolling in it.  They just don’t make very cat like noises. 

No comments:

Post a Comment