Sunday, November 4, 2012

November 4, 2012

Since the time changed last night, I tried to figure out the best way to adjust the puppies.  I was very tired last night so I decided to try feeding them at the early end of the normal time and getting up earlier this morning so I could go back to bed when they napped.  That worked fine from the puppies’ perspective but I didn’t do a very good job of napping. 

               They want to be outside as much as I will let them.  I guess they do have a lot more room outside to run and romp than in the pen.  I gave them chicken wings for the first time today.  Since they aren’t quite ready to just eat that yet, I gave them 3 to share.  There was some cooperation, some attempts at keeping it away from others, and some chicken actually consumed.  Camo was pretty good at it so I got a drumstick and held it for him to start eating.  Several puppies eventually got in on that and they ate most of them down to the bone.  A little of the bone from the wings were eaten, too.  I let the big dogs out to finish off the bones which renewed the interest of the puppies.  GrandDam Jill immediately gave her piece back to them.  I’m not certain what happened to the last piece but I am certain it will be eaten if it hasn’t already.

               They had a photoshoot today, too.  Some of them are pictures being held and some were during the chicken wing escapade.

               2 new people and another dog were added to the list today.  The dog is more of an adolescent, he is about 8 months old and is a mini Aussie so that’s a new experience.  They didn’t play together yet, mostly the puppies swarmed him and he let them with a lot of mutual sniffing.  I suspect tomorrow, he’ll succumb to the impulse to play, especially if there are a couple loose with him at a time instead of 10.

               We didn’t have a real weight watchers meeting but we did weigh Cooper (mini Aussie), Bluehemoth, Dyson and Pink just for comparisons.  Cooper only has Bluehemoth by a couple of lbs right now.  Pink isn’t far behind.  Dyson is doing well at almost 7 lbs.

               Individual puppies are spending some time alone in the small crates with the door closed.  They also have some time with the door open.  So far, there hasn’t been a huge mutiny but the crates are still inside the pen with everybody else.  The situation may be different when the crate is in a different room.  We’ll work it on a rotating basis.

               I need to start having the prospective families get an old towel or t-shirt ready by letting all of the members of the family wear it or sleep with it and then seal it up and send it to me.  When I know which puppy is going to which home, I’ll put the item in the crate with the puppy to get used to the scent.  That way, when they go home, they’ll have the blankie from here as well as the one with the new smell to make the transition more smooth.

               I’m going to do last call and say nighty, nighty, nighty for tonight.  So far all poops (and most pees) today have been outside.  Yay for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment