Monday, September 24, 2012

September 24, 2012 Pupdate


Weight watchers update:  every puppy weighs at least a pound now. I’m trying not to obsess over each weight too much these days because we have to resort to different methods to weigh them.  Most of the puppies have outgrown my kitchen scale so we have to use scales that report to the 2/10 of a pound.  Camo, Blue, Red and Brown have all doubled their birth weights.  All of their collars will need loosened in the next day or so with the exception of Camo who is streaking again (or he is really good at camouflage.) I loosened his the other day and he promptly got his front leg through it so I quickly took it off.  He’s been too squirmy to put it back on but maybe that’s his plan.

               I finally got a picture of a puppy lying on SammieDoodlebug’s back.  That is at least the third one to do it but I never get pictures.  I am trying to do better but it’s not that big a part of my life.  (Touching them is a whole different story.)  Tan sucked on the end of my nose when I was trying to get a little puppy breath.
 

               Their singing sounds a little bit like a very distant flock of sheep right now.  It’s cute, like most things they do.

               During one of their drinking bouts today, one puppy (with a white front foot) was on the bottom on his back and another puppy was on the top.  They were paw to paw like they were holding hands.  I know they were really kneading like they do to make the milk come down but it was very endearing.

               I took Jill out of the dog yard to free range poop today but she spent her time scoping out a potential den. I guess she wants to be ready in case I put them all out of doors.  She hasn’t stolen a puppy yet but she is still very interested in them.  Jack even sniffed a puppy when SammieDoodlebug was outside and I was switching them from one pool to another.  He wasn’t overly interested, maybe he was just gauging how long he has before they start stealing his monkey paws when he drops it in the pen.

               SammieDoodlebug ate part of one meal out of the pen today but I had to get Jack to incite her to eat AND I had to hold it for her.  I haven’t had to hold her chicken for more than 5 years (and back then I only did it to make sure she chewed it up instead of swallowing it whole.)  If she had been willing to eat her chicken in the pool, I wouldn’t have minded but she was very picky about it until she got started.  Maybe she doesn’t think chicken quarters go well with puppy poop or maybe she doesn’t like what that does to puppy poop.  She can’t actually talk (yet) so I don’t know.

               Have I mentioned that these puppies are awfully cute?  It bears repeating.  I enjoy snuggling with them as a group and individually.  They are awfully hard to put down.  They are not the slightest but obedient though.  Occasionally, I am trying to hear something on my computer and I tell them to shh!!, and they keep right on making their little noises.  Oh well, I think it is too early for them to be considered juvenile delinquents but I think Colleen would be happy if I could hurry up and teach them to stay while they try to take pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment