Saturday, September 22, 2012

September 22, 2012 Pupdate

               The weather has gotten better for the first day of autumn but the sun still comes up later.  Fortunately for me, I wasn’t awake at the crack of long before dawn because Bruce got home last night.  He did the night shift so I slept after Doodlebug’s midnight snack.  I woke up at 6 something but he had taken care of the puppies so I went back to bed and sound asleep until 9:30 ish.  She spent part of the night out of the pool so the puppies must not need her every second any more.

               She has spent a little more time out today as well.  Dog Cindi and LeighAnne came to play and they took Bela and Indy to the pond with Jack and Jill.  Once again, Doodlebug thought that looked like fun but then she decided the puppies needed her.  She had one of her many meals and then I gave her a quick shower and dried her legs and jacket a little.  Cindi, LeighAnne and the other dogs were back and the dogs needed baths.  Doodlebug had decided that her babies needed to eat again so I gave showers while Cindi and LeighAnne made sure none of the puppies got wet and cold.

               They clipped the puppies’ toenails while I got the bottles ready.  They think that the Brown and Tan looked small compared to everyone else and they are but they started out only 2/3 the size of the big puppies.  Since I have the formula, we tried to bottle feed a couple of them but they had eaten and were sleepy.  Little Tan did drink part of it, then we tried Brown but he has way too sleepy as was Pink.  By the time we had done all of that I was cuddling Tan again and he started sucking on my fingers so I gave him some more.  He preferred to suck on my finger where the formula had dripped and that little fellow is STRONG.  Jaws might be another nickname for him since he can hold his whole body in the air by his mouth.  It’s a good thing they don’t have those little shark teeth yet or he could do some damage.

               Last night’s weight watchers meeting was eventful.  Blue boy has gotten too big for my kitchen scales apparently since I kept getting an error message.  I tried weighing him on the baby scale and sending pictures but I think it might not have been on zero to start because it was showing him much lighter than the day before.  I finally got out my talking bathroom scales and weighed him.  He will now be weighed to the 2/10th of a pound unless we get the baby scale correct.

               9 of the 10 are over a pound and the Tan boy is closing in.  Camo is within half an ounce of doubling his birth weight and Red was within an ounce.  They cumulatively gained over a pound yesterday and have gained 5 lbs since birth.

               Eyes aren’t open yet but ears are definitely changing.  We’ll have to see if we can guess who might have hairy ears, I hope none of them though.

               The puppies are napping, the big dogs are napping, Bruce is napping – I think I should stop typing and take a nap, too.  I can’t quite fit in the puppy pool but I can get close (or I can steal a puppy to cuddle while I nap), Doodlebug is letting me take them more and more without checking so closely.  She still cleans each one when I return it but she’s not as worried about us stealing her babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment