Saturday, September 15, 2012

Blog Revived: Puppies!

After much anticipation (at least by me), we finally have puppies again! After a missed opportunity in January 2011, when SammieDoodlebug came into season before her intended Triton was quite ready and another flat out “miss” in February 2012 when our timing was apparently off, we got our ducks Allyn a row. And it’s taken me a whole day to start blogging about it. If anyone was actually eagerly anticipating the blog posts, I’m sorry for the delay.
Ten (10) puppies were born yesterday morning (9/14/12) . I haven’t added up their combined weights yet but Doodlebug weighed 68 lbs right before the birth. She has much more of her girlish figure back now. I will hold a weight watchers meeting in a little while but I like to compare their birth weights and that was handwritten (thanks LeAnne!) It may have been transcribed and emailed to me but I haven’t even checked email yet.
The male to female ratio is 7:3 as is the wavy to curly. We know 2 are brown and 7 are black and there is one that we thought was brown, then we thought was black. When Sammie is a little more comfortable, we’ll try to determine the real color of that puppy.
The smallest puppy at birth weighed 9.2 oz and the heaviest was 14.4 oz. It just occurred to me how close to a pound that is (have I mentioned that I didn’t sleep much in the last few days). They are all eating heartily so I think they are probably gaining. Doodlebug is starting to eat again as well but refuses to leave the whelping box unless we lure her out with the puppies. Jill (SammieDoodlebug’s dam) is extremely interested in the puppies but is also being respectful. She’ll be there is Sammie decides she’ll accept any assistance. I’m off to put things away from the trip and re-organize all of my puppy paraphernalia. And maybe have a nap by the puppy box…

No comments:

Post a Comment