Friday, March 23, 2018

3/23/18 One Week Old!

A couple of the puppies were going to be on ‘make sure they get extra feedings’ today based on the weight watchers meeting last night.  They were still vigorous and felt like they had fat little tummies, the increase in weight just didn’t seem high enough compared to other puppies/days. This morning I got the scale out and it while it would say ‘it’s ready’, it never told me any weight.  I switched to attempting to weigh a stationary object (I should’ve used paper then it would’ve been a stationery, stationary object) and it still didn’t announce a weight.  Eventually, I replaced the batteries and it works again.  And those puppies had much better numbers.
We’re changing collars AGAIN.  I think the others are rubbing their skin and a couple of colors are just not working for me so that is changing as well.  Apparently, I can no longer tell orange from red.  Neither are amongst my favorite colors (I only like blaze orange as their Uncle Armada’s color and it DOES look good against the brown hair) so I don’t recall if the issue has come up.  When we’ve used orange, it’s been on a brown puppy.  Hot Chocolate with Cassata Cream (I’ve been calling her Cassata.  I like a little hot chocolate with my whipped cream but this cream was EVEN better.  So good that I’m considering changing MY name too)  is so dark that I really have to study hard to pick her out from the black ones.  So red and orange collar colors isn’t helping that.  I think she is getting a dark brown collar and Red Velvet Cupcake will probably keep red. Everyone is changing over to TINY thin ribbon.  They didn’t find everything in perfect colors but I got out my massive assortment of permanent markers for puppy stuff and made brown.  I also fixed the lighter blue for Cream Puff.  It’s too close to white and since I can’t quite make a tan that I can tell from brown,  little tan Kolache Cookie is going to wear white and we’ll call it tan until it gets a little dirty.  Shhh, don’t tell her she’s breaking the rules of fashion and wearing white after Labor Day.  I think all that is left is making the magnets match (I have the hook and loop collars on the ex pen but I’ve been doing a lot with these puppies all over the room so a small portable magnet board is helpful.  Cindi and LeAnne used it today for the probiotic.  Just one of the many things I learned from the MSU’s job through the years ;-)
Aunt LeAnne has written a post for today as well.  I promise I had pottied the puppies right before they arrived but the MaterGater insisted upon giving them yet another little topoff so they ended up going again.  She’ll make them start and clean some of it up while they are nursing but if they go when she isn’t in the pool, she’s all for sweeping it under the rug.  Since she doesn’t have a broom (or rug), she tries to cover it up with her nose.  I prefer to take a more proactive approach (as it’s easier to clean).  Since she’s decided to do that complete 180 and become supermom, they are having the ‘too well fed’ poops. Hopefully, a little more probiotic will help with that.
Nanny McPhoebe monitors very closely when I am doing the pottying but she doesn’t quite help.  She also supervised the photoshoot. (And then she wanted to take the toys from the picture tote).   Today we used the card (for perspective) and tennis balls for their DaddyJack.  We also did the traditional all of the puppies in the box photo.  It’s a lot harder with 9 puppies but we did it.  (And then I freaked Cindi out by picking up 3 at a time to put them back into the pool.)
The weight watchers meeting this afternoon made it apparent that yesterday’s weights were suspect.  Cream Puff had achieved Pounder status though.  I might try to weigh them again tonight.  I may just go with the heft method.  I almost always use the ‘braille method’ with the big dogs so
Aunt Cindi brought a few new scents for them to enjoy.  It might be difficult to share a couple of them with the puppies without the big dogs eating them though.  Maybe they’ll eat the banana for me ;-). Jack ate bananas like a human if someone held it for him. I miss him.  I hope to recognize him in these puppies, maybe not hear the demand barking  though (but I actually miss him talking to me so maybe a little)
I THINK we are starting to get eyes beginning to open.  Cindi and LeAnne said the little slits are starting.  Their ears are doing the funny little positions they do as they begin to open as well.  Everything happens so quickly in puppies. Especially laundry ;-)
A word to the wise: if you ever make your own baby wipes (I like to KNOW what’s in there and avoid a lot of chemicals), do NOT cut the whole roll of paper towels with a serrated knife as recommended on the internet.  It’s like they were chewed apart by mice! Every time I put more in the liquid (water and coconut oil), it snows Bounty.  Like I needed more mess but fortunately it does vacuum up but I don’t much enjoy running the sweeper.
Speaking of snow, we are allegedly getting real snow with real accumulation tomorrow.  I hope not but we aren’t planning visits form the Auntie’s tomorrow just in case the driveway is bad. They probably need at least a day to recover from the great poopathon of 2018.
The puppies are quieting down now but a few different times today, they’ve somehow managed to sound like a whole hive of bees.  A couple of nights ago, one of them was meowing like a cat.  Repeatedly.  If it happens again, I’m  hope I think to record it.  Nighty, nighty nighty  and puppy breath to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment