Wednesday, March 28, 2018

03/28/18 Pupdate

03/28/18 Pupdate
We had a good night here so the scent for the day today will NOT be desperation like it was a couple of days ago.  It’s a good thing I set an alarm to get up and give the 2 am feeding to the Mama and other girls because I barely woke up to check the puppies otherwise.  I’m still a little tired so I’m probably going to have my nap while LeAnne is here watching over the pupsters.
Since 3 of the puppies so far are willing to take a bottle, my new DAYTIME schedule is to take those 3 out of the pool when it’s feeding time and let the other puppies get started while I give them each a bottle with about half of the formula they’d need per session and then put those 3 back in with general population to finish off.  If the session would happen to end earlier than I would’ve t liked, I’ll just give them a little more from the bottle.
They are starting to get more mobile, up on their feet and moving about rather like iguana’s.  I guess I cold let them borrow my white cane but they’ll probably have vision before they’d master those skills ;-)
They recognize the MaterGator from more distance now.  They do it in the pool and they also do it in the little potty area.  Since she usually comes by to supervise while I’m helping the others go potty, they get to practice these skills more oten.  And especially when they are in there, they remind me of kids in a playground hearing the ice cream truck the way the all motor over to the ‘fence’ ;-). It’s usally right before feeding time so they are especially motivated.
When the MSU was getting ready to leave this morning and we were ‘watching’/listening to the puppies over the camera, Caly started fussing at me.  We could tell that the puppies were in the pool and quietly resting but she kept doing it.  So I came back to the rubber room with her and when I sat down to cuddle by the puppies, she went outside.  Apparently, she just wanted to go out and check on her potential outside accommodations in case I put them out of doors.
Weight watchers meeting was pretty successful today but LeAnne is the scribe so they are in her computer.  The scale announces the weight, I repeat it like the Sigourney Weaver character on Galaxy Quest, and she reports how much they’ve gained since the last weighing.  I (or she) will need to check but I think several (maybe most) have double their birth weights.  Good little puppies, growing, growing, growing.
As are their toenails (I only did the front ones today) and their hair. Thei hair on their feet is obscuring their long toenails ;-)
LeAnne and her mom came to see the puppies today (and watch me sleep). They helped with distracting Caly so I could give the 3 supplemental bottles and then let them back in General Population where they proceeded to demonstrate why I separate them out for the first few minutes (well, that and they WILL take a bottle.)
We are starting to get EYES.  They’ve been working on eyelids and eyelashes for a few days but tonight, actual eyes started appearing.  Of course, I will worry every minute until all of them open and are developing normally.  I’ve never had PES and don’t know of an increased risk in these puppies (it didn’t occur in Jack’s first litter) but I always worry about EVERYTHING.  But for the rest of you normal people - EYES are opening.  Yay!
The scent of the day was birch (I think, it smelled a lot like licorice to me). It was from Nanny McPhoebe’s nosework kit so she was very interested in it, too.
I’m going to have to set the alarm for midnight feeding again lie here with my arm in the puppy pool until then.  And probably most of the rest of the night.  It’s what I do (we made the ottobenbed that height exactly for a reason). Puppy breath to all (they almost all will yawn pretty quickly when I rub their cheek so I can get a hit). Nighty nighty, nighty

No comments:

Post a Comment