Tuesday, March 27, 2018

03/26/18 Pupdate

The whelping pool resembles the aftermath of a Bon Voyage party.  Several of the crocheted ribbon collars have come off/been removed and are strewn about like confetti.  And there are a bunch of little drunken revelers sleeping it off in there.
Cindi and LeAnne came today to visit  and help with puppies.  I set up a little ‘potty spot’ for them because it’s difficult to get all 9 of them pottied in time.  So now I can put them in there and it they go, it will be easier to clean up and maybe it won’t be all over another puppy.  A girl can dream.  
And it’s a good thing I started that earlier because I’m now obsessed with potentially unwell puppies.
I’m glad I took a little nap while they were here because I’m going to be up all night.  One of the puppies had some pretty liquid poop while they were here.  Several of them have not great poop but it’s pretty much all the kind they get from being overfed.  This puppy hadn’t gained any weight over the day before I was worried about dehydration (no evidence of it but puppies can go downhill quickly so I was monitoring closely and giving some paste for diarrhea.  Then after the next feeding frenzy, had a little decent poop that turned into white, milklike poop.  That’s NOT good so we are doing the elemental diet to rest the gut.  2 of them have the white poop.
Unfortunately, they are NOT cooperative with any bottle or sponge and they are way too lively to tube feed by myself.  It took me over an hour and we have quite a bit on us but at least part of the concoction made it’s way inside the puppies.  I texted the vet at 2am hoping she can come by in the am to check on them.  I’ll be anxious to hear from her.
Now I’m kind of glad that she didn’t do a great job cleaning the puppies when she first came home with them or I might not have known about the bad white poop. 
1 of the 2 have pooped again and it is better but still not ok.  Maybe the protocol is helping.  I certainly hope so.
They still have puppy breath and they say nighty, nighty, nighty. I’m going to be obsessing over poop.

No comments:

Post a Comment