Wednesday, July 30, 2014

July 30, 2014 Pupdate

               Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, Portie puppies in the pool are nine days old.

               Sammie spent a little more time out of the whelping pool last night.  The puppies were sleeping soundly while she was gone so apparently they were ok.  And she was right beside it (as was I and JillyBean was right behind me) so I guess we had it covered.

               The little ones are very very cute and growing and getting stronger all of the time.  They ate while SammieDoodlebug was sitting up today.  That seems a little advanced to me but it happened this evening.

               To my knowledge, eyes are not yet opening but the pupsters are sporting the flying nun ears so I think they are opening up.  I hope they are little ears and not all hairy inside but that will remain to be seen.

               I heard and interesting article about how babies (and mice, so I assume also puppies) learn fear only from their mother at this age (and apparently in utero.)  Makes me happy that SDB isn’t afraid of storms since we had another big one tonight.  Not the sustained air to ground lightning so it didn’t bother anyone but me.  I was hoping we’d get to mow the dog yard tonight.  It is too wet in the mornings (it takes a while for the sun to come over the trees on the hill enough to dry off the dew) and it’s been raining every day.  The Bermuda out there is nice and lush at least ;-)

               I am considering setting and alarm for the MamaBug’s midnight feeding  and going to sleep until then.  I slept fairly well (just frequent awakenings to do my puppy countdown) but not anything close to (my) long enough and I didn’t get a nap again today.  I started to take one a couple of times but they phone rang.  I’m going to have to forward the phone to Iffen and turn on do not disturb so I don’t have to explain to people that I neither have nor desire a timeshare.

               I’m planning to bathe the old dogs tomorrow, including the Mama. I’ll have to time it right so they don’t go hungry or get chilled.  Puppies may get baths this weekend if their mama’s food keeps ending up on them.  I can’t imagine that is going to smell very good and I’ve never had stinky puppies. (I’ve met stinky puppies but I’ve never had stinky puppies.)  The Villagers will be prevailed upon to cuddle freshly bathed puppies in towels until they dry.  It’s rough to be part of the Village (or as my sister insists, the Cult of the PWD) but I think they’ll rise to the occasion.  Somebody may have to hold 2 puppies (last time we were all holding multiples.)

               The puppies are eating again.  They have horrible manners but are cute enough to make up for the fact that they sing and smack their lips while they drink.  They are cute enough that I really like to hear them do both.  They don’t always all eat at the same time but everyone does eat and Sammie the Tongue keeps them cleaned up (even when she drips cottage cheese on them, she cleans it off.)  My job right now consists of Constant Vigilance; feeding the Mama enough; changing the linens; and doing ENS.  I manage to find some time for puppy cuddles and kisses in the day, too.  Last night, I even slept with my hand in the box on puppies.  JillyBean was pressed against my back and the Mama Dog was breathing in my face.  If only there had been room for Jack (he’s only become a cuddler recently but Jill won’t let him get back on the bed after he has cooled off)… he did put a monkey paw by my pillow in case I felt the need to play a little fetch during the night though. 

               It’s going to be puppy yoga and nighty nappy for me.  Puppy breath sent your way…

No comments:

Post a Comment