Sunday, July 27, 2014

July 26, 2014 Pupdate

Today was slightly more eventful.  Dog Cindi came to visit the babies (and brought toys for the babies in addition to my list of necessaries – eggs, yogurt, etc for the Mama) and the dogs were THRILLED to see her.  SammieDoodlebug ran over and jumped up on her and then kept trying to get her to follow her over to look at the babies.  Apparently Cindi wasn’t moving fast enough (she was also being greeted by Jack and Jill) and SDB had to keep going back and forth until she made it to the whelping box.  The cable man didn’t get such a warm reception.

We had the dvr boxes switched out for tivo and that involved a visit from a guy from the cable company.  I moved the whelping box and pen behind the couch so that they wouldn’t actually see him.  And I crated Jill beside us.  They still heard him and warned him to keep his distance but he stayed over by the tv and didn’t bother them.  I wonder if he went home and told his family about the house he went to where the lady was sitting on a footstool behind the couch while he was here.  And where they made him sanitize himself like he was going into surgery (and sanitize his shoes).  He wasn’t coming near the dogs so I didn’t make him put on the clothing cover.

Cindi trimmed toenails – at least on the front toes.  I like to start early with other people doing it too.  (When I go visit other people’s puppies I always trim their toenails.  Even though the breeder has been doing it, I think it’s good for them to have it done by others while they are still safe with their mama and littermates.  Does that cross me over the line to crazy dog lady?  Too bad, it makes life easier for the dog and their people and that’s what this is all about.  And I’ve also been known to do it in puppy class, too.) 

She also cuddled the puppies and took some pictures with her phone.  While throwing Jack’s toy and occasionally petting JillyBean too. (Jilly remained somewhat vigilant that the obviously untrustworthy potential puppy thief, aka the cable guy – or anyone other than dog family – might return.)

The puppies are very mobile, especially when you consider that their eyes and ears aren’t open.  They sleep in various spots in the whelping box and head over to the bar when they feel the need.  SDB leaves the pen on occasion for a minute or two at a time but I’ve still been feeding her in there.  I’m sure she’d come out but when puppies are eating, I don’t ask her to get up.  And puppies are eating a lot of the time.  Smart little things!

They are much less fussy about puppy yoga time.  Except the wet cloth part, they all react to that but fortunately it is the last thing each time.  As long as the mama doesn’t interfere, they are cooperative but she likes to give them a little cleaning when she gets the chance.  She either believes that whenever I am holding them, it is to make it easier for her to clean them or that she’s still going to take advantage of the opportunity.

Wonder if they will manage to be even cuter tomorrow?  Experience says yes but I still don’t know how it is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment